The word “spoopy” is the latest addition to my vocabulary. It means spooky, but cute. So here I have for you some spoopy spiders for Halloween.
What you will need:
- Oreo or other cream-filled cookies – 16
- Mini pretzel sticks – 64 sticks (4 sticks per cookie)
- Moulding chocolate or candy melts – 2 cups
- Shortening/butter/coconut oil – 1tbsp
- Candy eyes or some melted white and dark chocolate – 32 eyes
- Baking tin or cookie sheet lined with wax paper
1. Melt the dipping chocolate and shortening/butter/oil over a water bath or in the microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring vigoursly in between. Remember, chocolate melts from the inside out and burns very easily, so use as little heat as possible and stir often. Often, the pieces look solid, but melt upon stirring. The oil thins the chocolate a little and makes dipping easier.
2. Break each pretzel into half. Twist each cookie to separate the layers. Lay halved pretzel sticks onto the cream filling to make spider legs, pressing slightly to set. Apply a little melted chocolate on the center (see picture below), then cover with the other half of the cookie.
3. Using two forks, dip the entire “spider” into the melted chocolate, moving it around to cover completely. Flip and coat other side. Place on wax paper-lined cookie sheet to set chocolate.
Immediately, place the eyes onto the spider or apply dots of white and dark chocolate to make the eyes. Set aside and let the chocolate set completely. Store spiders in airtight tin for up to 2 weeks.
This is a super-easy and fun recipe, made especially for your arachnophobic guests. My only suggestion would be to use the best quality chocolate you can afford because that is the dominant taste in this snack. If you are arachnophobic, chomp down on these delicious treats and show those spiders who’s the boss!